Michael S. Davis is the President of CDR Health, and brings over 20 years of healthcare experience—spanning not-for-profit, public for-profit and private for-profit entities. His depth and breadth of knowledge covers many facets of the healthcare industry, including Strategy, Business Development, Physician Group Practice Formation & Leadership, Financial Turnaround, and Operations.
Mr. Davis began his healthcare career working in Boston, MA for the city’s health department, where he helped lead programs aimed at reducing health disparities by fostering growth and development in the industry’s workforce; at that time, the mission was largely funded via local, state, and federal government grants and dollars. He then shifted his focus and spent the better part of four-plus years working for ECG Management Consultants, Inc.—primarily with clients that were large Academic Medical Centers (AMCs).
Some of the major accomplishments throughout his consultancy tenure include:
- Successful financial turnaround of $14.1M deficit for a large medical school in the South that ultimately led to an $800K surplus
- Conducting an in-depth review of an academic based, separately incorporated faculty practice plan—comprised of 360 physicians—that delivered recommendations for governance, organizational structure, business development, and a formal University affiliation
- Evaluation, recommendation & implementation for a large health system to convert its outpatient clinic operation from “freestanding” to “provider-based”, with an approximate $20M incremental revenue yield.
From consulting, Mr. Davis then stepped into executive leadership at Nicklaus Children’s Health System, (NCHS) where his near decade-long tenure saw several critical leadership roles, including Vice President for Service Lines—overseeing inpatient and outpatient Cardiac, Neuroscience and Cancer programs; Senior Vice President for Strategy, Business Development & Innovation; and President of the Physician Enterprise—totaling roughly 220 Pediatric Specialists/Subspecialists.
While at NCHS, several select accomplishments include:
- The development of a Three-Year Strategic Plan process, board approval and successful implementation system-wide
- Key physician specialist recruitment in Orthopedic Surgery, Neurosurgery, Cardiology, Emergency Medicine, among others
- Business development efforts that paved the way for institutional relationships—key to growing such service lines as Maternal-Fetal Care, Oncology, and others.
It was during his tenure at NCHS that Mr. Davis garnered the reputation as a true leader for physician group practices with a particular skillset in compensation structures, physician negotiation, and relationships.
He built on that experience and took on the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) role, overseeing the Physician Enterprise for Tenet Healthcare in South Florida—a physician group comprised of over 140 specialists, 60 mid-level practitioners, and staff to support 53 practice locations and a 10-hospital health system. Mr. Davis was instrumental in strategic planning and partnership with the hospital-system market leaders to develop more robust and comprehensive clinical service lines in such areas as Cardiac, Neuroscience, Orthopedics and Spine. During his time at Tenet, Mr. Davis led a group that month-over-month beat actual to budget performance despite the strong “headwinds” associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. Ultimately, Mr. Davis exited Tenet via a divestiture to Steward Healthcare of the Broward and Miami-Dade market. He joined Steward and helped ensure a seamless and successful transition of the newly acquired market.
Mr. Davis received his undergraduate degree from Brandeis University in Biology and Pre-Medicine. He has two post-graduate degrees from Boston University—a Master’s in Public Health with a dual concentration in Social/Behavioral Health and Health Care Finance, and a Master’s in Business Administration with a specialized focus in Health Care Management.
His leadership skillset, combined with deep strength in strategy/business development and physician practice management, set him up well for leading CDR Health.